MARKS COVERED 250
The Essay Paper is one of the nine papers in the UPSC Civil Services Mains exam. In this paper, students have to write two essays each with a word count of 1000 – 1200. One topic can be selected from a choice of four topics. The Essay Paper is for a total of 250 marks with one essay for 125 marks.
Students who have either done their coaching classes or are in need of that, and are in urgent need to undergo transformation and mentoring. This course is for such students who are in Delhi who live in Delhi and also for those who have left Delhi for their hometown.
To help students comprehend the theme philosophy and essence of the essay, structure and organize their information, process and present it as per expectation of the UPSC in a manner that it reveals the candidates’ attitude and administrative acumen.
This course in the form of an Essay Bank aims to improve the attitude behind the comprehension of the topic of the essay, and help the candidates to understand themselves and their flaws in expression, language, and presentation and then to transform them so that they develop writing smoothly as per UPSC requirements. Essay hasn’t got any syllabus and a meticulous preparation requires knowing a lot of things unknown as well as to understand oneself.
The aim of Essay programme is to help candidates
- To know and follow expectation of the UPSC and or state PCS.
- How to develop comprehension over the topic of the essay or developing a proper understanding of the topic.
- Writing and expression improvement and identification of glitches in that.
- How to follow Intra and Interdisciplinary approach and make it perspective based rather than problem solution based.
- Mastery over handling various types of essays like abstract essays, philosophy based essays, knowledge based essays and Contemporary issue based.
- Compare their essays with the essays of the qualified candidates.
The programme is under the guidance of Sri K. Siddhartha, (http://www.ksiddhartha.com) who will set the mindset, attitude and tone of the examinee as per the UPSC guidelines.
- Academic Head- Dr S. Mukherjee, Director ENSEMBLE
- Chief of Administration- Karan Choudhary and Namanpreet Kaur
- Input and Creative Director
WHAT SHOULD YOU EXPECT THE ESSAY BANK TO DO TO YOU
- Improve the way you look at your essay writing
- Improve your comprehension ability
- Know how to structure your essay
- Understand the art of forming linkages
- How to proceed logically towards conclusion
- Ways to begin your essay
- Identify the mistakes that the students can make.
- How to enhance the ability to mould perspective and balance your perspective.
WHAT DO YOU GET IN THE ESSAY PROGRAMME
- Strategy demarcation and classification of essay
- Letting you know different expectations of UPSC on different types of essay
- Availability of Synopsis of 100 different essays on varied topics
- Availability of Video discussion of 100 different essays
- Some representative essays of IAS toppers
- Task and assignment to students to write 7 essays from different sections and their video discussion and a chance to get their essays evaluated.
THEME AND PHILOSOPHY SCHEDULE PLANNING OF THE ESSAY COURSE
ON HOW TO
|1. The birds wings are clogged with filth, the fish gasp for oxygen. Is this what we call civilization?
2. Our culture, civilization and notions of development are enshrined in our nomenclature and perceptions of nature and natural events
|Have a understanding
towards the environment. Be aware whether you are following environmental ethics or not and if you are able to balance it with growth and development.
|Be with nature
on growth and
self but be
|Shed your perceptions and notions. Imagine
yourself as approaching
you are seeing long term and short term gains both.
|OPINION BASED||1.One can be traditional in outlook but modern in thinking, but cannot be modern in outlook and traditional in thinking
2. The greatest sign of an intellectual mind is to be able to engage a thought without agreeing to it
|Bureaucracy to be having
go for liking
|Be applied and holistic||Talk to as many
people as possible.
Accommodate their viewpoints.
Don’t be intolerant.
|1. Industrial decentralisation has been brought about in India as much by Government policy as by market forces and now localised entrepreneurship.
2. Films, like literature, have been truly reflective of Indian society through ages.
be world citizens,
citizens. Have a
|Be Academic and
|ABSTRACT TOPICS||1. Action may not always bring happiness, but there is no happiness without action.
2. Learning without thought is labour lost, thought without learning is perilous.
|Whether you are
a thinker or not,
Whether you can
be lonely in a crowd or be surrounded by
your thoughts when you are alone.
|Logic out everything or express anything that you can. Keep
expressing till you find right expressions.
with a high
quotes on that
topic and perfect
the one that you
take it wear it.
|India must counteract China strategically rather than tactically.||Whether you are
abreast of everything
Happening around you or not. How honest are you in
if you are able
to see 360
yourself to one
|NATURE OF INDIA
DIVERSITY OF INDIA
|How far has democracy in India delivered.
Indian society is best called changing society.
respect it, accept
it. Wants you to be
a part of Nation
in the topic. Evince interest in art and architecture. Feel proud over the heritage including
and accepting the diversity.
on trends in
|Must feel Indiannes and its changing
the perspectives of other generations. Enter into a
conversation with the. Enhanced Group
Learn to build
TOWARDS THE PAST
|1. It is the strong sense of identity that makes one takes pride in their language, culture, and lifestyle local wisdom is what makes the character of a country and that is missing in Indian mindset.
2. The bane of India has been that it has choses politicians to represent them, not statesmen. A politician thinks of the next election. A statesman of the next generation.
Problems of the
Class. How history
shapes views and views and attitude, pride shape up the
by Sen Identify
S. Sen Shashi Tharoor
|1. The decolonization of the world has only been replaced by a new form of colonialism.
2. “It is already becoming clearer that a chapter which has a western beginning will have to have an Indian ending if it is not to end in the self destruction of the human race.”
mindset that governs the people of the India and the world; Understand what governs the relationships
between countries, their identitiies, and its present
manifestation if any.
and feel if our
intact or has
and the reasons behind that state.
Shashi Tharoor, Pawan Kr Verma
|1. Indian economy is nothing but The Politics and Economics of Redistribution and Inefficiency.
2. India tried to gain economic power by gaining political power, rather than gaining political power by being economic power unlike China.
|All books that
you have studied.
|ROLE OF WOMEN||1. For any country to grow, the attitude, psyche, talent and role of women must be understood in its entirety to utilize the diversities of gender.
2. Gender equality and sameness is never to be considered same.
the world from
and plan of
action; conceptualise Women’s
|Blogs of Vineeta
Specific Issues of
|1. Population is not a problem; population not being a resource is a problem.
2. Population growth can never outstrip environmental resources and the carrying capacity of nature.
How big the problem is? Know the reality of poverty and related aspects. Understand the core issues facing the country. As an
meaning of development.
problem is an
or not, or
K. Siddhartha sir
TAND HE IMPACT
|1. Urbanization is never a problem, but urban growth is.
2. Cities are the cradle of civilization.
Governance Urban thinking, Urban attitude, Be global as well as Indian.
Urban Systems by K. Siddhartha & S. Mukherjee
|No frills, Get
|Be curious, be
interdisciplinary, enjoy your
it fun filled,
don’t try too
hard, but don’t
|Must learn how to prepare a summary, a flowchart for
simplification Prepare a synopsis on every chapter,
imagine all the
can be framed
and just write
the structure or
the skeletal of
the topic. Focus only on organising
beautifully like an ensemble of dress. You don’t wear
pyajama and shirt, or a mini skirt and a
|Go only for
How best to utilise the essay programme for Face to Face Candidates in Classroom CourseThis will be dealt separately in the Live stream of the ClassHow best to utilise the essay programme for Online Students
- Listen and view all the essay given on the portal.
- While you listen to it keep the print out of synopsis that you have downloaded from the portal.
- After having viewed the video along with the structure and synopsis, attempt writing the topic by expanding on the structure given.
- This will give you an idea about whether you are able to comprehend the essay or not, write your essay or not,
In case you wish to get your essays evaluated, follow these steps
- Ensemble will conduct 6 essay tests for willing candidates.
- All test papers would be available on the online.ensemble.net.in website.
- You are requested to write your essay starting with the question numbers in UPSC standard answer sheets
- Scan your answer sheets using the Cam Scanner App and make a PDF file.
- Send the PDF file to [[email protected]]
- You will have an appraisal of evaluated essays in a video chat with K. Siddhartha Sir.
- We may request him to conduct a one to one session if the case may require.
HOW TO MAIL THE ESSAY (ONLY WHEN APPLICABLE AS IN ESSAY EVALUATION TEST)
- You will get a feedback through video discussion on zoom
- The model answer will be made available on the Ensemble’s website after a 15 days of the test commencement.
SCHEDULE FOR ONLINE STUDENTS The students will be given a schedule, which will be followed diligently to cover the syllabus in comprehensive and holistic manner. The schedule will be having your complete plan. Such topic wise essays are on pre decided dates.
|COMPONENT OF PREPARATION||DATE ASSIGNED||INSTRUCTION|
|Strategy about essay Learning||26th October to 9th November|
|Listening to one Essay per Day||October to November||Late joining students must adjust themselves accordingly|
|Assignment 1||Identifying essay topics on each of the 13 sections.||Send the classified topics as instructed.|
|Assignment 2||Write an essay a day after listening to the video discussion from October to end February|
|Tests||One essay test a month||Submission of written test and its evaluation through discussion on zoom.|
|Final Tests||Two Full essay test||Submission of tests by 15th December|