Essay writing is difficult yet simple, skill based as well as natural, knowledge based yet intuitive. It forms the most important component of any exam preparation which requires the candidates to give a test of their personality. There is no one way to prepare for essay and to write it as well.
The very simple steps that can be taken to prepare essay includes phase wise step wise perfection of decision to write essay. These are
- Know your interest, what are the topics that suit you?
This involves pre essay preparation, which means that the candidates have to know which are all the topics that are to be prepared and how are they categorized as per your interest. See the table to know and place you.
- Now choose a topic
The choice of topic very well summarises your personality and preparation. The essay topic cannot be predicted, consequently it’s necessary that the candidate must have gone through a comprehensive process of self understanding to choose an essay. Choosing a topic which requires a very good compact language and writing it in a manner of general language doesn’t help you. Different types of essay require different skills, some require language, some very good understanding, some command over the topic, some very good temperament etc…..
It’s essential that the students choose topic as per their strength.
The choice has to be based on content, attitude for that topic, and understanding which can be structured. The table above gives the candidates a complete idea about the nature of content, UPSC’s expectation and how to prepare to meet the expectation of the candidate.
- Organise your thoughts, prepare a structure
The essay to flow requires a well organised thought. Initially, after seeing the topic, and the sense of circumstance that prevails in the examination hall may cause the candidates sense of organisation of thought to go awry. In order to organise your thought, the candidate requires to put everything on the paper. Initially the thoughts will be unassorted, which requires to be structured
- Time for preparation of structure and a framework that can be prepared
This form will require something like 15-30 minutes of time. That will leave 1 hour to one hour 15 minutes for writing, for writing an essay that may run in 11-14 pages.
- Preparing to make a framework.
Keep jotting down whatever points come to your mind so that it can be organized in a structured manner.
- Starting your essay
The introduction can be a quote, it can evolve systematically, it can also begin with an event, a short story or even better show to the examiner that you have comprehended the essay very well. But, never begin by reinforcing the essay topic that requires being proven or so.
The essay must move towards a flow that proves the essence and theme of the essay. It must logic out what ought to be proven. Thereafter, The quantification of the essay can be planned thereafter. An introduction can take Something like 75-100 words, then main content 800 -1000 words and then a conclusion can 25-100 words, depending on whether the conclusion is going to be descriptive or a quote or a solid conclusion
- The flow
Essay tests your comprehension as well as language and the ability to manage and manipulate your language.
There can be two types of writeup. One, where the language is compact and the other, where the language is simple. One point, one thought one theme has to be connected and connected very well with another as the essay flows.
The sentences need not begin abruptly, the paragraph change need not be jerky and out of sync when one paragraph ends the subsequent paragraph must be connected to the previous one. Without it, the flow and the essence of flow towards its conclusion will not shape up. Most of the students have a writeup that becomes disjointed and puts the examiner off.
The moment the examiner has to strain himself or herself the price is started in the form of marks.
The conclusion has to be evolved not forcibly inserted as a matter of conclusion.
For example, if the essay is on Urban problems, the flow has to be adjusted with a beginning that defines what is the meaning of urban problem, whether urban problems are the result of problems or are they problems in themselves. Then the nature and description of urban problems, it’s classification followed by the causes and the variations and classification of the causes, how the causes are interrelated if they are.
Then it must flow through a description and conceptualisation of the solutions, and in an appraisal form. Any solution has to be both pragmatic as well as visionary. This has to be followed by a conclusion, which must not be judgemental and is based on the writing that has described it.
- SOME DO’S
- Can use quotes and examples in between in order the diversify the writing and make the topic very interesting.
- Short sentences and paragraphs do not allow you to make mistakes. If you do not have a good language, it’s better to use short sentences and paragraphs to minimise mistakes.
- Remember the flow has to be with respect to the topic. Do not flow with the flow so much that you lose the track of the topic and go for a deviation which may be even slight.
- SOME DONT’S
- The job of the student is to show that he has comprehended the topic very well, understood it very well, that he is able to balance himself with respect to the presentation of the views that are independent. Thus a special care has to be taken not be highly critical of government.
- Do not be judgmental or show or emotions of likings or dislikings. These things do not have place in essay and can end up scaling you down. Thus, Do not name any any person or political party.
- There are chances in essay owing to its diversified nature, that the candidate can use some facts, some information that may not be 100% correct. Refrain from bluffing any type of bluffing.
- Some suggestions
- Understand yourself, your strengths and weaknesses with respect to essay so that you can choose its type.
- Practice structure making, practice writing, practice connecting the paragraphs, practice the flow, practice writing conclusion in various ways. Test series in essays don’t help you as most your essays are checked by students themselves who are worth nothing. It’s advisable to Write at least one essay per week. Exchange your write ups with someone who understands English, understand issues understands language and is generally belonging to the classical category.
- Read varied newspaper, current affairs, and magazines like India Today, Which are likely to involve you in the topic.
- In case you require any guidance, any mentoring, never go to new young so called teachers or instructors, just out of preparation and nouveau They can harm you beyond your imagination. Always look for experienced knowledgeable value loaded people.
- Sometimes for inspiration you can Read topper’s essays.
Here is one essay structure that is attached for your convenience to know how do you structure it.
IN CHARACTER IN MANNERS, IN STYLE, IN EVERYTHING, THE SUPREME EXCELLENCE IS SIMPLICITY.
- Meaning of simplicity.
- Expression of Simplicity
- So simple is to live.
- So simple is to love.
- So simple is to smile.
- So simple is to help.
- So simple is to forgive.
- So simple is to believe.
- But it so difficult to be simple.
- Components of simplicity.
- Meaning of excellence.
(a) Components of excellence
- Relationship of character and simplicity.
- Relationship of Manners & simplicity.
- Relationship of Style and simplicity.
- How simplicity can be excellence.
- How in everything simplicity is a bigger achievement.
- Simplicity is being in consonance with your thinking, attitude perception and action.
- Simplicity is freedom from cluttered thoughts.
- Simplicity is forming a chemistry without logic.
- Simplicity is being oneself.
- Simplicity is truth transparency and able to defend it
- Simplicity is being happy.
- Simplicity is being bold.
- Simplicity is glamour
- Simplicity is being in love with oneself.
- To be simple requires strength
- To be simple requires courage
- To be simple requires being open
- To be simple requires being progressive, adaptable
- Simplicity is not a trait of the weak, uneducated and perception driven and judgmental people.
Therefore in character, in manners, in style, in everything, the supreme excellence is simplicity.