PREVIOUS YEAR QUESTIONS BANK
Heat budget of the earth
1. Explain the Nature & path of insolation, its interception and related budget.
2. Describe the mechanism of energy transfer from Sun to Earth and within the Earth as part of heat budget.
3. Heat budget of the earth
4. Explain the movement of Insolation as part of energy transfer between Sun and Earth.
5. Differentiate between insolation and temperature and explain anomalous temperatur(2016)
6. Inversion of temperature (95) 2009
7. Give a causal account of the distribution of temperature giving examples.
9. Discuss the different types of temperature Inversions and its implications.
10. Give an account of the evolution of pressure belt on the earth and examine its role in the planetary wind belts.
11. Causes of Pressure differences and its impact on planetary wind belts
12. Discuss the mechanism and significance of tricellular meridional circulation of atmospher (2003)
13. Explain the meridional circulation of the atmosphere and its importance in world climat (2015)
14. Discuss the shortcomings of the tricellular mechanism of atmospheric circulation. How Palmen’s model is an improvement over the tricellular mechanism in explaining these shortcoming.
15. Give in brief the mechanism of atmospheric circulation. How ENSO and monsoons are deviations from the established circulation pattern.
16. Analyse the different scalar levels of climate change along with its caues.
17. Describe the effect of atmospheric circulation on different weather components as well as on oceans and biotic life.
18. Rossby waves and Jet Stream
19. Discuss the forces which govern the air movement on the Earth’s surf (2017)
20. Discuss in detail the tri-cellular model of atmospheric circulation.
22. Characteristics of Planetary Wind belts in relation to pressure belt
23. Planetary wind
Atmospheric Stability and Instability
24. Tropical atmospheric insatiabilit (2009)
25. Inversion of temperature (2010)
26. Discuss the concept of atmospheric stability and instability and its causes and associated climatic phenomena.
27. Atmospheric Instability
28. Discuss the development of local winds, and their influence of local weather, giving three examples of the well-known local winds in the world. (2007)
29. With suitable examples, bring out the impact of local winds on the climate of an are (2013)
30. Discuss the salient features of ‘sirocco’ and ‘mistral’. (2014)
31. Analyse the role of Mt. systems in weather phenomena taking example.
32. Local wind
33. With particular reference to India, explain the origin of the “monsoons”. Describe and account for the World distribution of monsoon climates, bringing out the significant differences between each of th (’81)
34. Discuss the mechanics and origin of the monsoon winds and explain the role of EI Nino on monsoon circulation.(2008)
35. Discuss the nature and origin of Indian monsoon and recent techniques of its prediction. (2014)
36. Explain how various factors influence the origin and development of the Indian monsoon system.
37. Jet stre (83)
38. Give an account of different Jet Streams blowing in the upper atmosphere and analyse their effects on different weather systems.
39. Rossby waves and Jet Stream
40. Explain the Origin and movement of Rossby waves
Air masses and Frontogenesis
41. Attempt a classification of air masses and give the characteristic feature and associated weather conditions of each class. (88
42. Discuss the origin, movements and characteristics of air masses and explain their role in influencing world climates. (92)
43. Define air How do they originate? Classify them and state the characteristics of any one type. (97)
44. Discuss the concept of air masses and present their classification (2001).
45. Classify airmasses and explain how ‘cP’ airmass affects global climat (2012)
46. Air masses
47. What is “Polar Front”? How does cyclone develop along this front? Describe the weather conditions associated with it. (2010)
48. Discuss as to how frontogenesis contribute to weather instabilit (2015)
49. How can airmasses be classified. How do they affect the world climate.
50. Discuss the process of frontogenesis and frontolysis.
51. What are different types of front Discuss the weather phenomena associated with fronts.
52. Air masses
54. Explain the origin, characteristics and distribution of temperate cyclones (89)
55. Explain and illustrate the life-cycle of a temperate cyclone and also describe the weather associated with it. (95)
56. Discuss the concept of warm and cold fronts and the weather associated with th (84)
57. Make a comparative study of the tropical and temperate cyclones (99)
58. Compare the structure and associated weather conditions of tropical cyclone with that of temperate cyclon (2006)
59. Compare and contrast tropical cyclone and temperature cyclon (2012)
60. Discuss the Polar Front Theory of origin of Temperate Cyclon How Jet Stream Theory is an improvement over it.
61. Discuss the origin, structure and weather phenomena associated with temperate cyclone.
62. Temperate cyclones
63. Compare the origin and weather conditions associated with the tropical and temperate cyclon (2016)
64. Explain the characteristic features of Frontogenesis and Frontolysis. 2020
65. Discuss critically the characteristics of tropical cyclones and analyse the extent to which they differ form the temperate cyclon (87)
66. Explain the origin, distribution and characteristics of tropical cyclon (91)
67. Compare and contrast tropical cyclone and temperature cyclon (2012)
68. Discuss the origin, structure and impact of tropical cyclone.
69. Discuss the origin, structure and track of tropical cyclones
70. Tropical cyclones
71. Give an account of the various mitigation strategies associated with tropical cyclone.
Types and distribution of precipitation
72. Give an account of the types and distribution of precipitation on the surface of the earth. (2000)
73. Examine the various kinds of atmospheric humidity and their associated fo (2010)
74. Discuss Dew point and the various forms of condensation. (2013)
75. Describe the origin and development of thunderstorms with exampl (2014)
76. Give a causal account of the distribution of precipitation in the world.
77. Divide the world into different precipitation zones and give reasons for the uneven distribution of precipitation.
78. Analyse the role of Mt. systems in weather phenomena taking example.
79. Types of precipitation.
80. Types of Fog.
Weather and Climate
81. Elements of weather and climate.
Koeppen’s, Thornthwaite’s and Triwartha’s classification of world climate
82. Compare the basis of the climatic classification of Koeppen with that of Thornthwaite’s
83. Explain the basic criteria used in Thornthwaite’s 1948 classification of climate (90)
84. Explain the basis of Koeppen’s classification of climat Also mention its merits and limitations. (94)
85. Examine critically the drawbacks of Koeppen’s Classification of climat Explain how Thornthwaite attempted to overcome Koeppen’s limitations. (96)
86. Discuss the criteria which Thornthwaite adopted for his 1948 classification of world climate(2002)
87. Discuss the main features of the climatic classification system evolved by Koeppen. Also point out its anomalie (2005)
88. Short Notes—Cs type of climate, as per Koeppen’s classification (99)
89. Potential evapotranspiration. (2004)
90. What is Potential Evapotranspiration? Explain how it is used in assessing the water balance in an are (2015)
91. Explain the techniques to calculate potential evapotranspiration suggested by Thornthwait
92. Discuss the basis of Koppen’s climatic classification. Bring out the silent characteristics of “Cs”
type of climate (2015)
93. Comparison of climatic classification of Triwartha with that of Koeppen and Thornthwaite.
94. Critically examine the basis and scheme of climatic classification proposed by G.Trewartha.
96. Hydrological Cycle (85, 91)
97. Hydrological cycle
98. Explain the role of evaporation in the hydrologic cycle
Global Climate change & role and response of man in climatic changes.
99. Explain factors contributing to the global climate change. (2009)
100. Discuss the consequences for Climate Change on agriculture and food security, and on the
Coastal Zones of world. (2009)
101. How does climate change a affect urban areas? (2009)
102. “Contemporary global climate change is an anthropogenic phenomenon”. Discu (2011)
103. What are the characteristics that make CHC a serious threat to the ecosystem? Give examp (2013)
104. Discuss the various causes of climatic changes.
105. Define climate chan What are the evidence of climate change and discuss its consequences?
106. Discuss the dimensions of global climatic changes and the factors responsible for them.
107. Analyse the role of human beings in affecting global and regional climatic change.
108. Examine the relationship between ocean currents and climatic changes.
109. Analyse the different scalar levels of climate change along with its cause.
110. Discuss the response of the international community to the issue of climatic change
111. Explain factors contributing to the global climate change
112. Discuss the consequences of climate change an agriculture and food security, and on the coastal zones of the world.
113. How does climate change affect urban areas?
114. Climatic change.
115. Discuss the origin of any feedback mechanism as part of Climatic Change
116. Discuss the significance of World Climate Research Programme (WCRP) and its core projects in the understanding of climatic chan (2016)
117. “Climate change is a reality.” Explain with suitable examples. (2017)
118. Write a geographical note on Halloween Storm. 2020
119. Discuss the application of climatology in agriculture, aviation and urban regions
120. Application of Climate in aviation industry.
121. Application of Climatology to aviation and transportation.
122. Discuss the components and dimensions of Urban Climate and its mechanism.
123. Analyse the different components of and their effects on urban climate
124. Discuss urban climate as part of weather systems.
125. What is the significance of UCL and UBL and how is that they define Urban Climate.
126.Explain the nature of urban climates and their impact on global environmental change
New Age Questions compatible with the changing pattern for
Mixed Interrelated and interdisciplinary nature Questions
128. Explain the Origin and movement of Rossby waves along with its mechanism
129. What are the different application of Climatology to aviation and transportation.
130. What is the significance of UCL and UBL and how is that they define Urban Climate
131. Discuss the origin of feedback mechanism as part of Climatic Change
132. Discuss the different types of temperature Inversions and its implication
133. Explain why there is so much amount of regional difference between the rains of Mid Latitude westerly region
134. Discuss the changes associated with the movement of Polar Air mass at it moves equator ward
135. Explain the movement of Insolation as part of energy transfer between Sun and Earth. What changes are associated with this move
136. Explain the Nature & path of insolation, its interception and related budget.
137. Explain the role of mountains and mountains as an obstruction in generating weather phenomena particularly in tropical areas taking example
138. Explain Tropical atmospheric instability and its impact on the weather phenomen
139. Give an account of thermal composition of atmosphere with the changing height.
140. Discuss the shortcomings of the tricellular mechanism of atmospheric circulation. How Palmen’s model is an improvement over the tricellular mechanism in explaining this shortcoming.
141. Analyse the different scalar levels of climate change along with its causes.
142. Explain with the help of feedback mechanism and flow chart the factors that will bring about climatic changes.
143. Discuss the evidences in favour of General Circulation of Atmospher What are the exceptions to GCM.
144. Pressure changes are not associated with temperature as much as they are with upper air circulation. Discuss
145. How does the atmosphere maintain hydrostatic equilibrium? What is the significance of this hydrostatic equilibrium?
146. The Hadley cell does not accomplish either transfer of energy nor angular momentum in the atmospher Explain it.
147. Discuss the relationship between stability and weather conditions.
148. Explain the mechanism of Rossby wave formation. How do Rossby Waves determine the poleward transfer of energy?
149. Give an account of lightning formation and thundersto How do lightning affect weather conditions?
150. Discuss the application of Climatology in transport and aviation.
151. Explain the tools that can be used for the forecasting of tropical cyclon Add a note on the mitigation measures of tropical cyclones.
152. What pre emptive steps are required for managing tropical cyclones during its occurrence as well as in aftermath?
153. Discuss the concept of climatic changes and show how the term has been used or misused in practice.
154. Despite all efforts one can make to tide over the present climatic change crisis, climate will chan Climatic change is an inevitibility.
155. Discuss the role of internal mechanism as a cause of climatic changes.
156. Mountains have a role in reconfiguration of the wind pattern at tertiary Discuss the micro effects of mountains.
157. What do you understand by the term ‘Climate forcings’? Discuss the probable impact of increased concentration of greenhouse gases on the heat budget of the earth.
158. Give a reasoned account of distribution of temperature over the earth surfce.
159. Identify the major types of temperature inversions and explain the role of inversions in accentuating pollution with examples.
160. Give a reasoned account of distribution of atmospheric pressure over the earth surfacse.
161. Discuss the characteristics of Ferrel c What role does it play in weather phenomena.
162. Discuss the probable impact of global warming on the atmospheric circulation.
163. Write a short note on Equatorial Westerlies and their impact
164. Discuss the major characteristics of mid-latitude westerlies and their impact
165. What do you understand by the concept thermal winds? Identify the major thermal winds of the world.
166. With suitable examples, bring out the impact of local winds on the climate of an area.
167. Discuss the major monsoon climates of the world.
168. Discuss the index cycle of the jet streams as well as its significance, in atmospheric circulation.
169. “The atmospheric instability is the key to understand various atmospheric disturbanc” Elaborate.
170. Convective instability is different from orographic or frontal instabilit Explain
171. Discuss the Cloud Instability Theory of Bergeron. How Coalescence and Langmuir theory of precipitation filled gaps in left by Bergeron.
172. Discuss the distribution of fogs in the world, along with its mechanism.
173. Is global precipitation zonal in nature. Critically analyse the zonal distribution.
174. Identify the major components of the hydrological cycle and discuss the impact of human beings on these component
175. Identify the thermodynamic modifications in the airma Elucidate your answer by discussing thermodynamic modifications in ‘cP’ airmass.
176. Attempt a classification of air masses and give the characteristic features and associated weather conditions of each class.
177. Explain the preconditions required for frontogenesis to occu Highlight the major areas of frontogenesis around the globe.
178. Discuss the sequence of weather found along a temperate cyclone.
179. Discuss the origin and distribution of mid-latitude anticyclones along with the associated weather conditions.
180. Explain the origin, distribution and characteristics of tornadoes.
181. Compare Koppen and Trewartha’s classification of world climate
182. Examine critically the drawbacks of Koppen’s Classification of climat Explain how Thornthwaite attempted to overcome Koppen’s limitations.
183. Identify the major drivers of climate change according to the recent assessment report of IPCC.
184. Discuss the projected impact of recent climate change on the Climate extremes.
185. “Urban climates present an ideal opportunity to study the impact of humans on climate”. Explain it with example.
186. Write short note on Hydroclimatology.
187. Explain the major techniques of cloud seeding.
188. The northern Indian plains have witnessed a series of thunderstorms and dust storms with differential securit Explain its causes and weather impacts.
189. Discuss the theories of origin of precepitation.