SETTLEMENT GEOGRAPHY PAPER- I
Types and patterns of rural settlements
- Citing suitable examples from India, explain the role of site and other physical factors in determining the types and patterns of rural settlements. (92)
- Rural Settlement Patterns (85)
- Types and patterns of rural settlements
- Discuss the role of site in determining the types and patterns of rural settlements. (2016)
- Describe the changing regional morphology of rural settlements in India.
Environmental issues in rural Settlement
- Rural settlements are the product of their environment and ecology. Explain with suitable examples.
Hierarchy of urban settlements
- Functional and hierarchical patterns of Indian cities. (86)
- Function, Classification and hierarchy of urban settlements. (90)
- Hierarchical pattern of Indian towns (99)
- Describe the concept of hierarchy of settlements. Discuss the practically and theoretical means of identifying and analyzing the hierarchy
- What are the different interpretations of hierarchy of settlements discuss. Analyse your view points on them.
- Hierarchy of urban settlement.
- Bring out the sequential improvements in models of city structure by E.W. Burgess, Homer Hoyt, and Harrris and Ullman. (2010)
- “Urban Geography is nothing but city “in” area and city “as” area.” Elaborate. (2013)
- The variations in urban morphology are the result of different types of cultures and lifestyles. Critically analyse.
- Discuss the different models of urban morphology with suitable examples of Indian cities.
- Discuss the major characteristics of ‘CBD’. (2016)
Concept of primate city
- Primate city (99) (2005) 2008)
- “Colonial forces resulted in the primate pattern of urban process in most Southern Asian countries.” Discuss. (2012)
- Primacy and regional primacy as indication of economic structure and growth.
- In urban geography, what are the concepts of primate city and Rank Size Rule? Discuss in detail. (2006)
- Rank-Size rule (2000)
- Rank-size rule
Functional classification of towns
- Classification of cities (89)
- Discuss Nelson’s method of functional classification of towns. (2015)
- Cities as catalyst of Social and Economic Change.
- Functional classification of towns
Sphere of urban influence
- Define the urban sphere of influence and discuss different methods of determining the spheres of influence of cities. (86)
- Define umland and discuss, with specific examples, the criteria for its delimitation. (93)
- Examine the concept of sphere of urban influence and discuss and qualitative and quantitative methods used in its delimitation. (2003)
- Explain the qualitative and quantitative methods of delineation of the sphere of urban influence. (2014)
- Urban sphere of influence (84)
- Gravity model (99)
- Relevance of distance decay principle in Indian cities. (2012)
- It is difficult to determine the sphere of influence of a city, while it is practical to determine the sphere of influence of a particular function. Elaborate your answer.
- Discuss the application of gravity model in Geographical studies. (2016)
Conurbations and Megalopolis
- Elaborate the concept of Megalopolis and discuss the characteristics and problems related to two regions selecting the each from North America and Europe.
- Discuss the concept, characteristics and development of conurbations, with examples.
- Discuss the concept of Satellite Towns. Explain the role of satellite towns in relation to its characteristics.
- Satellite town
- Explain the concepts of “megalopolis” and “exopolis” with regard to the growth of cities indicating whether the two can and do overlap.
Problems and remedies of urbanisation
- Slums and squatter settlements. (94)
- “Urban Solid Waste Management poses the greatest challenge in Metropolitan planning.” Elaborate. (2013)
- Discuss the factors responsible for counter-urbanisation. (2014)
- Critically analyse the various urban problem of the developed and developing countries.
- How do slums develop? Give concrete suggestions for their improvement. (2016) (India)
Sustainable development of cities
- “Rural sustainability is necessary for urban sustainability.” Discuss the statement in the backdrop of
integrated development approach. (2014)
- Discuss in brief the concept of sustainable development as applied to cities and bring out the salient features of sustainable urban development.
- Sustainable development of cities.
- Cities as catalyst of Social and Economic Change
- Discuss the concept of urban resilience in the context of planning for sustainable development with reference to towns and cities of India. 2020
- Elaborate the concept of Megalopolis and discuss the characteristic and problems related to two such regions selecting one each from North America and Europe. (2009)
- Secondary cities in the context of urbanisation in developing world. (2011)
- Regional shifts in the world urbanization after 1950 and the varied characteristics of urban process. (2012)
- Misra’s theoretical stages of Rural- Urban Process. (2013)
What is Geriatrics? What are the problems associated with Geriatric population? (2013)
SETTLEMENT GEOGRAPHY PAPER- II
Types, patterns and morphology of rural settlements
- Types of rural settlements and the factors affecting it. (92)
- Explain, with the help of suitable examples and illustrations, the distribution of various patterns of rural settlements in India. (95)
- Explain, with suitable examples and sketch-maps, the distribution of various patterns of rural settlements in India. (99)
- Rural settlement patterns in the Ganga Valley. (85)
- Explain the basis and characteristics of Dispersed Settlements in the N. E. Region of India. (91)
- Discuss the geographical control of rural settlement pattern in India. (98)
- Discuss briefly the principal types of rural settlements in India. (2005)
- State the geographical factors which influence rural house types in India.(2009)
- Morphological characteristics of villages situated in hilly regions. (2012)
- Give an account of geographical conditions responsible for the development of different types of rural settlement in India. (2012)
- Describe the main types of rural settlement patterns with examples.
- State the geographical factors which influence rural house types in India.
- Present a comparative analysis of geographical factors responsible for distribution of human settlements in Rajasthan desert and North-Eastern regions of India. (In about 250 words) (2016)
- Explain the changing river courses and their impacts on the riparian population in India with suitable examples.
- Give a reasoned geographical account of changing rural folk houses in India. 15 2020
Census Definition of Urban Areas
- Concept of ‘Urban’
- Cities as catalyst of Social and Economic Change
- Discuss the process, pattern and impact of urbanisation in India. (88)
- Discuss the recent trends in urbanisation in India and briefly describe the main characteristics and problems of the major Indian cities. (89)
- Bring out the salient characteristics of Indian unbanization with suitable examples. (94)
- ‘Unplanned urban development has created numerous problems’ Comment (2008)
- Analyse the extent of urban population growth in India in the last four decades. (91)
- Outline the role of class II and III towns in the Urban process of India and indicate their contribution towards balanced urban development.(2010)
- Describe in brief the various processes of urbanisation
- Describe the causes and effects of urbanization in India and explain its impact on rural landscape and urban ecology. (In about 250 words) (2016)
- Explain the contemporary agricultural scenario in the context of rapid urbanizations in India.
Morphology of Indian cities
- Indian Cities are lacking in layout and function. How far is this true and what historical and cultural factors are responsible for these features? (83)
- Describe the salient characteristics of the morphology of Indian cities. (2000)
- Explain the morphology of Indian cities in the background of existing morphological models. (2006)
- Functional and Morphological Typology of Indian Cities (87)
- Internal structure of an Indian city. (94)
- The Indian city structure is the product of its history Elaborate.
- Planned cities of India
- Examine the driving forces of changing urban morphology of millionplus cities of India with suitable examples.
Functional classification of Indian cities
- “Mono-functional towns are economically vulnerable.” Discuss. (In about I5O words) (2015)
- Functional classification of Indian cities.
Conurbations and metropolitan regions
- Discuss the concept of city region and referring to Indian cities, examine critically functional indicators used for delimiting the city region (98)
- Differentiate between conurbations and metropolitan region. Give a reasoned account of emerging conurbations in India. (2011)
- How has an inappropriate urban land use policy accounted for undesirable development in and around metropolitan cities? (2014)
- Conurbations and metropolitan regions
- Provide a reasoned account on emerging conurbations in India and explain with suitable examples the problems associated with it.
- “There is no sharp divide where an urban settlement stops and rural areas begins.”. Analyze the state the statement with reference to the sprawl of India cities. (2009)
- Analyse the causes of evolution of urban sprawl and its impact on the city, its structure, form and culture
- Changing, nature and impact of Sprawl in India.
- “There is no sharp divide where an urban settlement stops and rural are in begins.” Analyse the sprawl of Indian cities.
- Urban sprawl around planned cities evolve leading to emergence of squatter settlements. Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of such outgrowth. 2020
- Analyse the changing nature of workforce composition vis-à-vis rural-urban divide in India. 2020 84.
Slums and associated problems
- “Slums are urban menace.” Elucidate with Indian cities as examples. (2007)
- Growth of urban slums and problems associated with them. (90)
- Distinguishing features of an urban slum and its position in metropolitan area. (93)
- Factors for the growth of slums in the metropolitan cities of India. (96)
- Discuss the environmental impact of the growth of slums in Indian cities. (2000)
- How do slums develop? Give concrete suggestions for their improvement. (2004)
- Define slums and explain their problems. (2013)
- The result of unplanned urban growth is seen in slums of India, discuss.
- How do the ‘push’ and ‘pull’ factors operate for the emergence of slums in the metropolises of India?
- How do slums develop? Give concrete suggestions for their improvement. (2016)
- Discuss the elements and approaches of town planning in India. (2006)
- “Though 70% of Indian population is rural, urban planning is crucial to the development of India.” Discuss. (2012)
- City-regions as territorial unit for regional planning and development. (2013)
- What have been the main objectives of the National Capital Region Plan. Discuss its features and the problems in the implementation of the Plan.
- Role of Satellite towns in urban Planning.
- Small towns in India have problems and prospects of their own. Elaborate. (2017)
- Peri-urbanization has created enormous environmental problems. Discuss their causes and consequences with reference to the National Capital Region (N.C.R) of India.
- Identify challenges faced by generative and parasitic towns in India and their possible remedies.2020
Problems of urbanisation and remedies
- Describe how urbanization creates air and water pollution in India. (2013)
- Account for the multiple problems of urban agglomerations. (2014)
- The problems of Indian cities are the outcome of its layout, demographic and functional characteristics.
- The solution to Indian urban problems lies in a comprehensive regional plan and development of the rural areas. Discuss
- Critical examine the environmental problems of Indian cities.
- Problems of pollution in Indian Cities.
- In the light of the existing urban problems, identify the various approaches for town planning in India which can lead to sustainable cities.
- Critically examine sustainable development in Indian Planning and the problems faced in its attainment.
- Correlate the price of land, vertical growth of cities and the growth of slums in large cities of India.
- Give a reasoned account of high level of pollution in North Indian cities as compared to South Indian cities
Other Mixed Questions
- Write a note on the emergence of National Settlement System in colonial India and discuss the factors contributing to urbanization in post-independence period. (2013)
- Discuss the objectives of ‘Vision 2020’ in creation of viable village complex in India for ‘Inclusive Rural Development’ programme. (2013)
- Analyse the changing nature of workforce composition vis-à-vis rural-urban divide in India. 2020