TWO YEARS FOUNDATION COURSE
About the Course
Civil Services is one service in the country which provides able administrators to run the country. The selection for Civil Services is done by UPSC. UPSC is the Autonomous Organisation, whose main function is to choose the administrators, who can run the country and manage its day to day affairs. The aim is to choose the right bureaucrat on whose shoulder the administration of the country can be given.
To meet this demand institution of UPSC it is looking for certain qualities in the candidates:
- Candidates with leadership qualities who have an organizational capability and a solution oriented thinking.,
- Persons who can adjust, adapt and accommodate with dynamic challenges of diverse India,
- Candidates who are flexible to suit to the requirement of the down trodden strata of the society.
- Candidates who can build social capital and take a variety of people along.
- Candidates who have a very good communication ability to communicate to varied profiles and interests.
This 2 year Foundation Course will not only prepare you completely for taking the Civil Services Exam but will also infuse a kind of attitudinal transformation in you in the due course of your preparation.
If candidates have to succeed, they will have to be open and be spontaneous. Civil Services preparation is not about rote learning as is normally thought and as it is handled by the candidates.
UPSC DEMANDS AND STUDENTS NEED
The problems that the candidates face is many.
In this era of deluge of information and an information overload through internet and media, understanding of the issues of socio-cultural, national and international importance you have to be really very objective and wise in choosing the right content. Internet has no regulation and any one can post anything without any accountability.
Moreover, UPSC wants the candidates to have independent thinking as a part of independent personality; they must have value-based orientation so that they are not prone to being manipulated and also that they are not tempted.
By adding the paper on ethics and integrity, UPSC has tried to orient candidates to have value loaded and ethically derived decision making capability and wisdom based educational orientation. Without this trait, the demand of professionalism and performance will be difficult to meet..
NATURE OF THE COURSE
This course will be a Mains and Prelims integrated course (including CSAT).
Steps in preparation
- Revising the entire of school learning, and revisiting all the schoolbooks.
- Find gaps in whatever they have not learned—fill this gap
- Make a concerted effort to develop the language, comprehension and expression.
- Start reading newspaper regularly, Collect the different words. Comprehend the language prepare a synopsis.
Start concentrating on your personality. Expose yourself to different situations. Your personality development effort should have following components.
- Completing your sentences while conversing
- Don’t leave loose ends while conversing
- Stop taking extreme viewpoints.
- Start balancing your perception and thought
- Read as many newspapers as possible. Try to read between lines.
- Meet variety of people. Try your best to understand them. Understand that everyone is different.
This understanding will be important for preparing a base to study Paper- IV of General Studies. As a first step Paper IV preparation and understanding is important to begin with as it will help develop a perspective for understanding General Studies.
Having revised the school syllabus and the entire of school level subjects, the foundation is created to take a certain amount of load. Having got the ability to read and understand the newspapers, the candidate will be able to develop a perspective. Having taken a keen interest in oneself, and the surroundings, the students will be able to develop his/her thinking, perspective, and start differentiating between perception and reality, the candidate will now start understanding the world better and start learning much more fruitfully rather than only memorise chapter.
Phase – III
Having got the complete syllabus and knowledge and information about the syllabus the candidates will start developing correlative ability. This will comprise of
- Preparing a synopsis of the topic
- Go for a writing practice by selecting questions and answering them. Once in writing practice, start perfecting writing.
Continue all of those things learned
- Keep developing perspective
- Learn about the topics but not only from books
- Go for extensive writing practice
- Keep meeting people, keep discussing topics
- Continue reading magazines and topics of choice so that the perspectives and innovation remain fresh and the candidates keep innovating with ideas and concepts.
CURRICULUM AND COURSE PLAN
|Components||Why is it important||Where will it help||Comments|
|Communication & Body Language Improvement||For being cultured
For being more acceptable
For making friends who can be helpful
In becoming favourites with the teacher
|Language Improvement||To express anything that the students wish to
To write good answers
To speak well
In other exams such as SSC, or any other exams
|Revision of entire school books and its current dimensions with an aim to build foundation.||To prepare the candidates well in advance of their Preliminary Examination, as the first phase of preparation out of three phases in the coming three years||In one day exams such as SSC, and forming the base of other exams including state PCS.|
|General Science NCERT level||To answer Objective type questions|
|History NCERT level|
|Polity NCERT level|
|Geography NCERT level|
|Ecology and Environment NCERT level|
|Economics NCERT level|
|Current Affairs Background NCERT|
|CSAT preparation and customisation||Extend the sharp thinking of the candidates, and their recent mathematical practices into making it solid and concrete.||In exams such as SSC, or any other exams including Bank PO. exams|
|Components||Why is it important||Where will it help||Comments|
|Understanding oneself, their parents and teachers||Know ones strength||In personality Development and Interview|
|Understanding their surroundings||Build ones strength||In personality Development and Interview|
|Learning to make bonds, and social capital||In easing
preparation and distributing work.
|World trip in class||Understanding World geography for a solid base of World history, International Affairs, Geography, and Current affairs||In Preliminary Examination of UPSC, in SSC, in any competitive examination.|
|Reading Newspapers||For Current Affairs preparation||In any
examination of the world.
|Learning through various means- Films, Books, Interactions, Parents, Teachers, TV,||For facilitating learning and that too fun learning and learning through any source, not only books||In writing essay and General Knowledge anywhere it is required.|
|Background of events and World problems||For building a solid base for International and national Affairs and Current Affairs||Reading newspaper with ease, to answer all questions that can be asked from Society, Indian political
|Mastering GS Prelims Preparation||Revision of everything studied so far||Now the students can take any PCS examination.|
|Mastering CSAT Paper for Prelims Preparation||Practice makes perfect||In providing certainty and
security for qualification
|Preparing the candidates and perfecting them for Government Services and Jobs offered through SSC. Banking Services and trains them for Self-Employment and Entrepreneurship development||Revision of everything studied so far.||Now the students can take any SSC examination or
any one day examination.
GS Mains Course Information and Sources
General Studies- I
|SECTION||STUDY MATERIAL & CHAPTER||VIDEO LESSONS||TESTS||ENRICHMENT AND ADDITIONS|
|Indian Heritage &||Book on Indian Heritage &||Animated Video||For||Mains||Current Update|
|Culture||Culture by K. Siddhartha||lessons with||and||links and Video|
|documentary type||Prelims||footage for story|
|Freedom||FREEDOM STRUGGLE OF||Classroom lessons|
|Struggle||and||INDIA-SEN GUPTA||coupled with|
|Indian History||BANDOPADHYAYA- FROM||Micro learning|
|PLASSEY TO PARTITION||topics of niche|
|History of the World and Society||Book of International relations by NCERT
THEMES IN WORLD HISTORY
|NCERT lessons explanation.||For Mains||Micro films|
|CONTEMPORARY WORLD HISTORY|
|Society Social Justice||and||Selected study material from Different sources|
|Geography of the World and Society||THE NEW WORLD: GEOGRAPHY OF THE CHANGING WORLD AND SOCIETIES-K. SIDDHARTHA||Animated Video lessons with documentary type explantion|
|NCERT GENERAL GEOGRAPHY OF INDIA|
|NCERT RESOURCES AND REGIONAL PLANNING|
General Studies- II
|Polity: Constitution & Governance||Selected study material from Different sources|
|Social Justice||Selected study material from Different sources|
|International relations||THE WORLD SINCE 1945 (7TH EDITION) WAYNE C.M.C.WILLIAMS, HARRY PIOTROWSKI|
|Links of Current Affairs related sections.|
|India’s foreign Policy and relations with neighbours.||India’s Foreign Policy by Ganguly|
|Book on Science and Technology by -K. Siddhartha|
|Economic Development||Selected study material from Different sources,
Links of Current Affairs related sections.
|Bio diversity, Environment||Environmental Issues by K. Siddhartha|
|Security and Disaster Management.||DISASTER MANAGEMENT BY K.SIDDHARTHA|
General Studies- IV: Ethics, Integrity, and Aptitude
|This paper will include questions to test the candidates’ attitude and approach to issues relating to integrity, probity in public life and his problem solving approach to various issues and conflicts faced by him in dealing with society. Questions may utilise the case study approach to determine these aspects.|
|Selected study material from Different sources. Links of Current Affairs related sections.
|Class lecture recordings
Micro films on various case studies.
The Essay Paper is one of the nine papers in the UPSC Civil Services Mains exam. In this paper, you will have to write two essays each with a word count of 1000 – 1200. One topic can be selected from a choice of four topics. The Essay Paper is for a total of 250 marks with one essay for 125 marks.
Objective Behind Essay
To help students comprehend the theme, philosophy and essence of the essay, structure and organize their information, process and present it as per expectation of the UPSC in a manner that it reveals the candidates’ attitude and administrative acumen.
This course aims to improve the attitude behind the comprehension of the topic of the essay, and help the candidates to understand themselves and their flaws in expression, language, presentation and then to transform them to develop writing smoothly as per UPSC requirements.
Essay hasn’t got any syllabus and a meticulous preparation requires knowing a lot of things unknown as well as to understand oneself.
The aim of Essay programme is to help candidates:
- To know and follow the expectation of the UPSC.
- How to develop comprehension over the topic of the essay or developing a proper understanding of the topic.
- Writing and expression improvement and identification of glitches in that.
- How to follow Intra and Interdisciplinary approach and make it perspective based rather than problem solution based.
- Mastery over handling various types of essays like abstract and philosophy based essay, knowledge based and Contemporary issue based.
- A team of most experienced examiners to evaluate your topics.
REFERNCE BOOKS WITH NEW INCLUSIONS
SOURCES FOR GS PRELIMINARY HISTORY
- Puffins, Super Simple History
- Basic- NCERT History
- Basic- NCERT History
- Advanced History – Bashan – The Wonder that was India.
- Indian Heritage and Culture- K.Siddhartha
- India’s Freedom Struggle- Sen Gupta
- Goh Cheng Leong for Basics, but now needs to be urgently supplemented.
- Geography Through Maps – K.Siddhartha & S.Mukherjee for Map Study
- Basic Physical Geography- K.Siddhartha & S.Mukherjee, or
- Indian Geography for Preliminary Examination- K.Siddhartha & S.Mukherjee for a complete PT orientation
- Physics, Chemistry, and Biology from Science Series of Dorling Kindersley for Applications.
- Science, Technology and Society- K. Siddhartha
- Our Constitution by Subhash Kashyap
- Indian Polity by Laxmikant
- Times of India
- Indian Express
- Any competition magazine
- Portal management
- Environment by NCERT.
- Ecology & Environment – K.Siddhartha
- Ecology & Environment for Preliminary Examination Vol-I
PRACTICE QUESTION BANK
- Ensemble Series
- New Questions from Current Section
GS Prelims (Integrated with Mains wherever the topics are common)
|Section||Books||Explanation and Teaching mode||Revision and Practice||Other Support|
|Polity||Short Smart Study of Ensemble||Classroom explanation along with recorded||Weekly fortnightly as per the|
|Economy||Short Smart Study of Ensemble||Classroom explanation along with recorded explanations|
|Ancient History of India||Short Smart Study of Ensemble||Classroom explanation along with recorded explanations|
|Medieval History of India||Short Smart Study of Ensemble||Classroom explanation along with recorded explanations|
|Modern History||India’s Freedom Struggle- Sen Gupta||Classroom explanation along with recorded explanations|
|Indian Art and Culture||Indian Heritage and Culture- K.Siddhartha||Classroom explanation along with recorded explanations|
|Environment and Biodiversity||Ecology & Environment by K.Siddhartha
Ecology & Environment for Preliminary Examination Vol-I
|Classroom explanation along with recorded explanations|
|General Science||Short Smart Study of Ensemble||Classroom explanation along with recorded explanations|
|Science, Technology & Society- K. Siddhartha||Classroom explanation along with recorded explanations|
|Geography||Geography Through Maps by K.Siddhartha & S.Mukherjee for Map Study
Basic Physical Geography by
K.Siddhartha & S.Mukherjee, or
Geography for Preliminary Examination- K.Siddhartha &
S.Mukherjee for a
|High grade Multimedia doscumentary type films on chapter.|
|complete PT orientation|
|Govt. Schemes||Links of Government programmes||Will be provided from time to time|
Economic Survey (Selective reading from Prelims perspective)
The Hindu Indian Express
|Various online links and Mocrofilms.|
PROVISIONS WITH THE CANDIDATES
- Accessibility to the best teachers for Civil services, who can really transform any candidates future, rather than bank on new generation coaches, having limited knowledge and who themselves require attitudinal correction.
- Choice of teachers /coaches and trainers who can be called on students request and/or from where the students want to go for studies/classes/coaching.
- To call any specialist from any where in the country within the framework of mentoring process.
- The students can share the problems and find solution with the people who feel for the candidates and are concerned about the country.
- Have insider information into what the organization is, which is conducting their exam is thinking, and accordingly mould their preparation.
- Availability of material and unhindered access to that knowledge source from where model answers are framed.
- The students manage the entire programme with complete transparency on the same lines as is being managed in one of the best business schools in India and on the same lines as ISB, Hyderabad.
- Animated video lectures prepared in documentary form with a story like explanation. These videos are prepared by the best animation experts, choicest video galleries, original footage laced with authenticated facts to ease your understanding, increase retentivity and improve imagination. Two hours of the classroom is reduced to just half an hour of fun watching and learning.
- A second and separate recorded lecture includes Explanatory videos in a classroom atmosphere.
- A complete study material in a structured form will be made available to you either via post or print out or in any electronic form. The chapter includes everything that the topic requires. It is a formidable compilation drawn from the best sources available in the world for Civil Services-NCERT, SCERT, Government Reports, The Hindu, Yojana, Kurukshetra…….and what not. Nothing is required beyond that.
- Practice Online Tests along with evaluation.
DAILY ROUTINE AND SCHEDULE from Monday to Friday
|8-10||NEWSPAPER READING IN LIBRARY, VOCABULARY IMPROVEMENT, PREPARING SYNOPSIS FROM NEWSPAPER, UNDERSTANDING COMPREHENSION|
|10.30-12.30||SYNOPSIS DISCUSSION AND PROBLEM IDENTIFICATION|
|1.30-5.30||ASSIGNED GS TOPICS, PRPARING MONOLOGUES, CHAPTER, SUMMARY, strengthening
|1.30-5.30||ASSIGNED GS TOPICS, PRPARING MONOLOGUES, CHAPTER, SUMMARY, strengthening
|6.00-8.00||CLASSES AND/OR TRAINING FOR PROBLEM TOPICS
DAILY ROUTINE AND SCHEDULE for Saturday
|8-10||WEEKLY EXCHANGE OF IDEAS AND NEWS|
|10.30-12.30||WEEKLY EXCHANGE OF IDEAS AND NEWS|
|1.30-5.30||PROBLEM SOLVING AND MONITORING OF WEEKLY LEARNING|
|1.30-5.30||PROBLEM SOLVING AND MONITORING OF WEEKLY LEARNING, assignment distribution|