CONTEXT- European Space Agency (ESA) launch Jupiter icy moons explorer (JUICE) from French Guiana
– The mission is to study the giant gas planet and its three large ocean bearing moons-Ganymede, Castillo and Europa
– The Mission will characterize these moon as both planetary object and possible habitat. Explore the Jupiter’s complex environment in depth.
– It is launched from French Guiana with the help of the Ariana-5 launcher.
– The spacecraft is equipped with 10-state of the art scientific instruments including the most powerful remote sensing, geophysical and in-situ payload.9 of the instrument are from European partner and one from NASA
– JUICE is the first satellite from the earth to enter the orbit of GANYMEDE.
– Satellite will enter the giant planet orbit by 2030.
JUICE will observe:
1. Measure the component of magnetic field.
2. Observe the energetic particle, how it interacts with Jupiter magnetosphere and the surface.
3. Ganymede’s aurora.
4. Measure the density and chemical composition of the atmosphere and ionosphere
5. Characterize the composition and physical properties of the surface.
6. Measuring the topography and roughness of surface region.
7. Characterize the subsurface ocean by measuring tides.
Why ESA choose these three Jupiter’s moons?
1.Oceans of liquid water beneath their icy crusts which is six time more volume of water in earth’s ocean.
2.Investigate whether life ever possible in these. Life on these moons could be in the form of microbe.
Significance of the JUICE Mission
· The mission will use state-of-the-art technology and advanced instruments to explore Jupiter.
· Technological point of view very important to explore with the help of remote sensing, imaging, in situ measurement.
· Understanding about the Jupiter and the possibility of life beyond the earth.
For Best Online UPSC Courses, Visit: www.ensembleias.com