Madagascar is the Largest Island located in Southern part of Indian Ocean is the fourth largest island in the world separated from the southeastern coast of Africa by the Mozambique Channel. Madagascar is a biodiversity hotspot with an unparalleled wealth and unmatched .
Madagascar Nature’s Marvel
The island’s diverse ecosystems and unique wildlife are threatened by the encroachment of the rapidly growing human population and other environmental threats. FACTS ON MADAGASCAR
1. Most of Madagascar’s wildlife is found nowhere else on Earth. Madagascar has been an isolated island for around 70 million years. It broke away first from Africa around 165 million years ago and then from India nearly 100 million years later. This isolation led to the development of unique flora and fauna species, with 90 percent of its wildlife found only in Madagascar. Among its extinct mammals were giant flightless birds and dwarf hippos.
2. Madagascar was settled by Asians before mainland Africans. The first humans to settle in Madagascar came from the island of Borneo, which is now divided between the countries of Brunei, Indonesia, and Malaysia.
3. Lemurs are sacred in Madagascar. As of 2012, there were 103 living species and subspecies of lemur, almost all classified as rare, vulnerable, or endangered. There are also several species of extinct lemurs- including a giant lemur.
4. Madagascar has strong human rights protections.
5. Before French colonial rule, Madagascar was ruled by a woman.
6. Madagascar was a popular location for pirates.
7. Many native plants of Madagascar have medicinal properties. There are several plant species in Madagascar that can be used as herbal remedies. For example, Hodgkin’s disease, leukemia, and other cancers can be treated by the drugs vinblastine and vincristine, which are derived from the Madagascar periwinkle.
For more details :
Best Online Coaching for Civil Service_IAS_ UPSC_IFS_IPS, Free Study Material ENSEMBLE IAS ACADEMY
Call +91 98115 06926
Read Watch, Interact, by Networked-Learning book Series
Visit us:- https://ensembleias.com/
Online Store: https://online.ensemble.net.in/
Email: [email protected]
Madagascar Nature’s Marvel | Geography Through Maps World
#madagascar #geographyoptional #earth #geography_through_maps_world #civilservicesstudy #ensembleiasacademy #geographyoptional #k_siddharthasir #ias #civilservices #upsc_motivation #upsc_aspirants #upsc_exam #trendsingeography #trendofquestions #geographytrends #civilservicesstudy #ensembleiasacademy #geographyoptional #k_siddharthasir #ias #civilservices #upsc_motivation #upsc_aspirants #upsc_exam #strategicthinker