China to Run First Electric Train in Tibet
Why in news?
- China will operationalise first electric train in remote Himalayan region of Tibet.
- The electric train will connect provincial capital Lhasa with Nyingchi
- The 435.5-km Lhasa-Nyingchi section of Sichuan-Tibet Railway will be inaugurated ahead of centenary celebrations of ruling Communist Party of China (CPC) on July 1.
- Nyingchi is a strategically located Tibetan border town close to Arunachal Pradesh.
- Electricity transmission process has been completed and tested.
To buy our online courses: Click Here
- Sichua n-Tibet railway is a high-elevation railway under construction.
- It will connect Chengdu (capital of Sichuan) and Lhasa (capital of Tibet Autonomous Region).
- It is a 1,629 km long line which is going to cut travel time from Chengdu to Lhasa to 13hours from 48.
- This will be the second railway into Tibet after Qinghai-Tibet Railway.
- It will go through southeast of Qinghai-Tibet Plateau, which is one among world’s most geologically active areas.
Three segments of railway
- First segment of the railway called Chengdu-Ya’an, came into operation on December 28, 2018. Second segment of railway named Nyingchi Lhasa, will open June 25, 2021.
- While final segment called Ya’an-Nyingchi, is expected to complete in2030.