Operation Pangea XIV
Why in news?
To buy our online courses: Click Here
- A record number of fake online pharmacies have been shut down under Operation Pangea XIV targeting the sale of counterfeit and illicit medicines and medical products.
- The operation coordinated by INTERPOL involved police, customs and health regulatory authorities from 92 countries.
- It resulted in l 13,020 web links including websites and online marketplaces being closed down or removed, the highest number since the first Operation Pangea in 2008.
About Operation Pangea XIV
- Operation Pangea, is a well-established international effort of Interpol to disrupt the online sale of counterfeit and illicit health products.
- Just as importantly, Pangea works to raise awareness of the risks associated with buying medicines from unregulated websites water quality.
- The first Operation Pangea was conducted in 2008.
- The current operation (14th) involved the police, customs and health regulatory authorities of 92 countries.
- It was coordinated by Interpol. Indian agencies also participated in the operation.
- Indian agencies also participated in the operation, said an official of the Central Bureau of Investigation that is the nodal body for the Interpol in the country.
- It showed that criminals were continuing to cash in on the huge demand for personal protection and hygiene products due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Also Read: Pandemic – Vaccination – Indemnity