Why in News?
– The project includes the clean up the Hindon, a tributary of Yamuna.
– These projects are part of the comprehensive Hindon Rejuvenation plan.
– Hindon River is identified as a priority in the polluted river stretch. The project, which are sanctioned to prevent the flow of polluted water to Krishni River.
National Mission for clean Ganga (NMCG)
1. It was registered as a society in 2011 under the societies registration Act 1860.
2. It acted as the implementation arm of National Ganga River Basin Authority (NGRBA) which was constituted under the provisions of the Environment (Protection) Act (EPA), 1986.
– NGRBA has since been dissolved with effect from 2016 consequent to the constitution of National Council for Rejuvenation, Protection and Management of River Ganga which is referred as
National Ganga Council.
Aim and Objectives-
– The objective of the Authority is to ensure effective abatement of pollution and conservation of the river Ganga by adopting a holistic approach with the river basin as the unit of planning.
– To ensure to Conserve the biodiversity along with environmentally sustainable of flora & fauna and carrying out effective plans and policies to conserve Dolphins, Turtles and variety of Fishes.
Implementation of National Mission for clean Ganga is undertaken across 3 phases-
1. Entry level activities- immediate and visible activities such as surface cleaning, rural sanitation to prevent pollution entering the river through sewage, modernization,
renovation and to improvise human river connect.
2. Medium term activities- comprise activities that arrest municipal and industrial pollution entering the river.
3. Long-term activities- consist of providing an adequate flow of the river, enhancing usage efficiency and improving efficiency of surface irrigation. It also includes preparation of
guidelines of technology.