Why in news?
- German agrochemicals major Bayer has commercially launched first-ever yellow watermelon variety called “Yellow Gold 48” in India under Seminis brand.
To buy our online courses: Click Here
About Yellow Watermelon:
- Yellow watermelon has been developed from superior germplasm under Bayer’s global research and development efforts.
- Yellow watermelon variety has been commercially introduced in India after two years of local trials.
- Yellow Gold 48 have enhanced yield potential, better disease & pest tolerance and higher returns which can benefit watermelon growers.
- Yellow Gold 48 variety is best suited for cultivation during October to February.
- Harvest can be done from April onwards after which it will be available in market until mid-July.
Significance of Yellow Gold 48
- Yellow Gold 48 is having high yield and income potential which will empower watermelon growers to diversify into new categories.
- It will also help in growing demand for exotic fruits. It is the first of its kind yellow flesh watermelon which have moderate to good plant type.
- It has dark green rind with slight stripes and orange yellow flesh colour. Average weight of the fruit is 2.5-3 kg.